Australia: This year's ABC Local Radio two day Forum took place in Adelaide May 10-11. The presentation of the Annual Local Radio Awards took place on the closing night at the National Wine Centre.
[Editor's note: There are 51 regional station and 9 metropolitan stations on the network. ABC Local Radio is publicly funded by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation which has a mandate to bring a distinctive mix of news, views, current affairs, talkback, entertainment, sport, music, and rural issues in local radio program output.]
2006 ABC LOCAL RADIO AWARDS - WINNERS
* Station of the Year (metropolitan) 1233 ABC Newcastle & 774 ABC Melbourne
* Station of the Year (regional) ABC Goulburn Murray
* Outstanding Contribution to Local Radio by an Individual Fiona Churchman
* Broadcaster Of The Year Virginia Trioli - 774 ABC Melbourne Drive & 702 ABC Sydney Mornings
* Rural Reporter of the Year Adrienne Francis - NT Country Hour
* Outstanding Contribution To Local Radio By A Sports Broadcaster Simone Thurtell & Caroline Davison for Northern Grandstand
* Online Feature/Website Of The Year Sarah Knight & Sinead Mangan for "Tales from the Riverbank"
* Local Program of the Year (metropolitan) Mornings with Matthew Abraham & David Bevan - 891 ABC Adelaide
* Local Program of the Year (regional) Bonita Brown and Lyndall Bell for "The Big Fish with Snagger Brown" - ABC Illawarra
* Outstanding Coverage Of A Local Story Local Radio Victoria for 'Fear in the Forests - 26 days which scorched Victoria'
* The Paul Boddington Award for Outstanding Radio Feature/Package By An Individual Joel Rheinberger for 'Nude Day' - 666 ABC Canberra
* Outside Broadcast Of The Year Mornings with Jon Faine - 774 ABC Melbourne - King Khalid College
* Community Event of the Year ABC Rural - The Country Hour 60th Anniversary Roadshow
* Networked Program Of The Year Overnights with Trevor Chappell
* Promotion Producer Of The Year Andrew Taylor - 774 ABC Melbourne & ABC Victoria
* Producer of the Year Tim Moore - 105.7 ABC Darwin Breakfast
* Best New Talent on Local Radio Matt Dowling - ABC Goulburn Murray
* Marketing Campaign of the Year Angela Scrymgour - "Men's Cooking Campaign", 1233 ABC Newcastle
The Awards were presented by the Governor of South Australia, Her Excellency Marjorie Jackson-Nelson, AC, CVO, MBE; Premier of South Australia, The Hon. Mike Rann; Senator for South Australia and Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, The Hon. Amanda Vanstone; Minister for Education and Children's Services, Minister for Tourism, Minister for the City of Adelaide, The Hon. Dr Jane Lomax-Sminth; Chairman of the ABC, Donald McDonald AO; Director ABC Radio, Sue Howard; Director ABC New Media and Digital Services, Lynley Marshall.