Oslo-- An update from Conax on the launch of Essel Group's Dish TV, India's first and fastest growing DTH satellite television service.
Any public comments by Conax, as the conditional access system supplier to Essel will contain an element of bias. None the less, the Conax says that in a short span of time, Dish TV has established itself as the leading content provider in India, bringing to viewers a new era of premium digital quality TV viewing experience.
The DISH TV's satellite footprint stretches across the Indian subcontinent and SAARC countries.
Points highlighted by Conax:
- Dish TV currently has a total subscriber base of 1 million, which is expected to grow to 5 million in the next 3 years.
- The penetration of digital STBs in the Indian market is estimated to grow to 12 million in the next five years.
- The current channel line up includes: 10 channels of Hindi movies, 5 of Hollywood movies, 15 news channels, 6 sports channels, 5 children channels, and other general entertainment channels totalling 100 + channels. Cricket channels are wildly popular, and the customers value the high quality digital transmission for all their favorite programs.
- The distribution of content is available as a DTH service over KU Band and as DTO (Direct to Operator) service over C Band.
- Monthly paper based billing goes to homes. Words, cards and arcade games will be added shortly.
- There are currently more than 10000 Dish TV dealers.
The future direction of Conax in India:
With CAS expected to be implemented soon in India, Conax conditional access is ready for the digital roll out on the cable services.
Siticable, an Essel group company, plans to roll out the concept of Headend in the Sky (HITS). In this concept, the smaller operators who cannot invest in expensive digital systems will be able to receive channels and distribute to their cable customers while content and revenues are protected.